Inside this issue:
* Free Webinars from Linked Senior
* Positive Vibes from #ActivitiesStrong
* ARAAP Annual Fall Retreat Details
* Fun Craft Idea from HRAPA President Tina Guthrie
* National updates to COVID-19 and facilities
* NVAAP Hosts Virtual Meeting
* VAAP Membership Information for 2021
LINKED SENIOR OFFERS FREE WEBINARS
Linked Senior is committed to resident engagement. As the COVID-19 situation unfolds, it is our top priority to support the senior living industry by providing free education, resources, and tools to each of you. (www.linkedsenior.com/resources/library)
COVID-19 and Resident Engagement – Hear from Resident Engagement Champions
Live Webinar: Tuesday, July 28th, from 1pm – 2pm EST
Understanding and measuring the impact of COVID-19 on senior living and resident engagement starts with the individuals who tackled the biggest challenges of the pandemic and managed its underlying opportunities successfully. This webinar will focus on real life stories from leaders in the resident engagement field. Speakers will review how the crisis unfolded for them, how they adapted to their current situation and where they see things going in the next three months and beyond.
• Understand how COVID-19 impacts resident engagement
• Learn how to create a resident engagement action plan
• Prepare for upcoming changes to resident engagement operations
Using Positive Psychological Approaches in Resident Engagement During a Pandemic
Live Webinar: Tuesday, August 25th, from 1pm – 2pm EST
During this session, the participants will learn about how to engage residents during the pandemic using positive psychological approaches to care. The cornerstones of positive psychology, practice philosophies, and practical hands-on examples of how to use these techniques in your agency will be provided. The goal will be to increase your curiosity so you will naturally want to learn these techniques to promote engagement.
Participants will be able to:
- Verbalize the three cornerstones in positive psychology (i.e., positive emotions, positive individual traits, and positive institutions) and how they relate to recreational therapy practice for older adults with dementia.
- Verbalize at least one philosophy (e.g., The Best Friends Approach™) and how you can use this philosophy within your practice.
- Develop one action item that you can immediately incorporate at your agency that will enhance resident engagement during the COVID-19 pandemic and beyond.
CREATING WITH CLAY CREATIONS
This is a difficult time for activity directors, so we developed a, step by step, pottery kit (MAKE YOUR OWN PIECE OF POTTERY) Residents can have fun creating a beautiful masterpiece! You DO NOT need a kiln!
The soft pliable clay also allows for good hand, arm and finger therapy as the participants follow the instructions to mold their own creations. Residents can form something amazing, something they can admire and use practically (projects are either containers or trays and hold paperclips, pennies, jewelry, etc.) or these can be a great gift to give loved ones once they are united again!
The projects are designed for the new learners to medium level participants to advanced residents. Residents will mold then paint (even wet) all at once, so their creations will look amazing right away!
These kits come with non-toxic paint, non-toxic glaze, paintbrushes, wax paper, cups, the soft non-toxic clay and simplified written instructions for 12 participants to make a piece of pottery. The price is $75.00 for the 12 participants which includes free shipping.
Kindly let me know if we can send you one of these kits – Thank you!
Kit One: The Lucky Ladybug Tray
Kit Two: The Man on the Moon Tray
Kit Three: The Wise Owl Container
Kit Four: Slow as a Snail Vessel
Kit Five: My Keepsake
Kit Six: The Darling Dragonfly
Lisa Hartensveld, 201-800-5346
ARAAP Fall Mini Conference
Appalachian Regional Association of Activity Professionals
Mini-Conference “Exploring Our World” October 23 – 25, 2020
Fairy Stone State Park, 967 Fairystone Lake Dr, Stuart, Va. 24171
Creative Craft Idea By Tina Guthrie ADC/MC, HRAPA President/VAAP Vice President
- Canvas (poster board etc.)
- Variety of paints/paint brushes
- Painters tape
- Paper / Marker (for the quote)
- Various decorations (glitter, shiny gems, etc.)
- Discuss with the resident, what letter or shape they wish to use on their canvas
*Could have residents vote on their top 4 – 5 favorites then all do the same shape or letter, (much like a “wine/sip” paint party where everyone paints the same topic yet they all turn out unique).
- Then using the paint, the resident tapes out the shape or the letter they choose
- Then the resident paints the canvas with the colors/designs they desire
- Let dry for 24 hours – then gently pull off the painter’s tape to reveal the white shape or letter
- Then the resident can decorate the painted canvas if they wish, utilizing the various bangles
*A favorite quote or poem could be pasted on the canvas as well
- Once complete, post on the resident’s door for all to see their creation
If you do this project send in some pictures to VAAP to be posted in the VAAP Voice.
Enjoy and Have Fun!!
Tina Guthrie ADC/MC, HRAPA President/VAAP Vice President
>>>CDC<<< – update 6/25/2020
Additional Strategies Depending on the Facility’s Reopening Status
These strategies will depend on the stages described in the CMS Reopening Guidance or the direction of state and local officials.
Implement Social Distancing Measures
Implement Visitor Restrictions
Healthcare Personnel Monitoring and Restrictions:
go to https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/long-term-care.html
>>>Health Innovation Network<<<
Activities for Older Adults During COVID – 19.
A guide to online resources for those providing care for people with dementia.
go to https://healthinnovationnetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Maintaining-Activities-for-Older-Adults-during-COVID19.pdf
50 Activities for the Elderly in Lockdown and Isolation
go to https://www.goldencarers.com/50-activities-for-the-elderly-in-lockdown-and-isolation/6265/
>>>Insights from Leading Age<<<
go to https://leadingage.org/coronavirus-information-nursing-homes
NVAAP hosts virtual meeting – Tuesday, July 14, 2020 12pm – 1pm EST
You have been invited to the following event.
Because we can’t meet in person, Debbie O’Bryant, Natalie Kravitz, and I have decided to host a virtual NVAAP meeting via Zoom on Tuesday, July 14th, from 12:00 – 1:00. This will be a time for us to catch up and share how we have been running activities during lockdowns and social distancing. We’re trying this meeting over lunch so please feel free to eat while we chat. Here is the information on how to sign in:
go to https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89125766840?pwd=VXhNK1ZLa2ZiMm1hNWpoVWdDRTJVUT09
VAAP MEMBERSHIP RENEWAL REMINDER
Many of you that were members in 2018-2019 have not yet renewed your VAAP Membership. Remember that the VAAP Membership year now runs January 1 – December 31st of each calendar year. Be sure to complete the renewal form below for your 2021 VAAP Membership renewal and send it to the Treasurer to keep your membership in good standing! https://vaaponline.org/membership-form/
VAAP Appreciates YOU
You are creative, resilient, strong, vivacious, stupendous, extraordinary, exceptional, remarkable, astounding and overall AMAZING! VAAP again thanks you for all you do for your residents. The ingenious ways in which you are adapting your programs is second to none. Keep sharing your successes and your creative thoughts and programs with VAAP as we are all in this together and will keep each other #ActivitiesStrong!